Tuesday, August 21, 2012

System Work

Over the past few days I have been enthralled by my own doodles. I know, how self absorbed can you be? But come on...look at this:


I just opened a new spread in my sketchbook and drew in vertical lines and started filling them with repetitive patterns. It's like an outstretched zentangle, a zenlongle! ;-) I drew them with a black tombow marker and used both the brush and the fine tip. I like the effect of the different lines.

After that I just had to color them in and since I want to get better aquainted with colored pencils anyway I decided to use those. I love the soft effect of the colored pencils in contrast to the stark black lines.

And I loved the first one so much that I just had to do more:


I thought I would like a border around the lines, but it turned out I really didn't like that, so the above is the only one that is enclosed by a border pattern. While making that one I did come up with a name for these drawings though: system work. It just popped into my head and seemed appropriate.

Unfortunately it's also a song by a former Dutch women's group called Mai Tai and even though the song has nothing to do with these drawings the words 'System Work' put it into my head now everytime I work on these. I may need an exorcist!

After the border fiasco I decided to try some different color schemes on one page drawings. (Two pages take a lot of time. A Lot.) What if I used different greens for instance?


I like the monochromatic look of working in one color. So I made another one in pinks and purples as well, this time a horizontal one. (Now the lines aren't perfectly straight, but the bend of the page makes it look even worse.)


So now I have a new addiction. I have no idea how long this will last, but I don't care. My next try will be one in blue colors. The challenge of course is to think up new patterns and to make it work as a whole. It really is system work.

I'm even thinking of doing some as just black and white drawings and offering them as freebies for you all to color in. We'll see about that, me and my big ideas! For now I'm pleased just to be playing in my sketchbook, which is a good thing, since the studio is still off limits. I can't wait for fall to show it's chilly face!

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy week!

23 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun. I tend to do most of my art journal work when Hillary is here because she gets jealous if I'm involved in the play room. I'll have to try some of these. I bet she'd like them too! BTW...Hillary has been on a pitossin drip for about an hour now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Annie, keeping my fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Leuk bezig Caatje. Leuk kadopapier al die patroontjes.
    Is het nog steeds te warm op jouw veel koudere eiland.:-))))
    Boven hebben we de 31 gehaald en ik heb in een slaapkamer van 27 graden geslapen deze week. Wat was jouw piektemperatuur???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geen idee hoe warm het precies was, heb geen thermometer. Maar boven was mijn algemene indruk: "sauna" en zondag beneden ook. Zaterdagochtend viel het nog mee, heb zelfs nog een heerlijke strandwandeling gemaakt met lekker verkoelende wind. Diezelfde middag leek diezelfde wind een op de heetste stand staande föhn. Tja, zo warm als aan de wal zal het niet zijn geweest, maar wij zijn ook niks gewend met onze zeewind en daarbij ben ik overgevoelig voor zelfs maar een beetje warmte (en met overgevoelig bedoel ik "ik haaaaat het"). ;-)

      Delete
  3. I love these pages, and I know that they took a long time for you to do them. I'm curious, can you tell us what size your pages are? I think I will give this a try too. Thanks for sharing them. Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pages in my sketchbook are 25x25cm. That's about 10x10 inches.

      Delete
  4. Oh! I love your Zenlongles!! You should be designing papers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So gorgeous Caatje... love your Zentongles... beautiful colors... and patterns...

    Hugs
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you're enamored with your artwork. I am too - it's cool looking! Are you using markers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, like it said in the text: the drawings are done with a tombow marker, the coloring in with colored pencil.

      Delete
  7. Gezonde verslaving en nog leuk ook;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do right to show them off, they are lovely. I like the one with the border around. Infact I like them all, cant wait to have a go. I have a new sketchbook ready and wanted to design a cover, this could be it, thanks for sharing your wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wauw wat een leuk idee! Ga ik ook eens mee aan de slag, ben een fervent krabbelaar en hou van dit soort herhalingen. In mijn Wreck This Journal heb ik al eens een pagina vol visjes getekend, heerlijk meditatief!
    Ik ga eens verder sneupen op je blog! Komend weekend twee dagen naar Vlieland, kan ik op de boot mooi creatief bezig zijn...
    Groetjes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veel plezier ermee en....veel plezier op Vlie!

      Delete
  10. I love it! I doodle a lot at night when I am watching political tv shows... just to keep me from screaming! But it is my de-stress time, and I now see it's okay to just do what you did and no one will be the wiser!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ik ben blij dat ik dat liedje 'System Work' niet ken... ik weet namelijk wél heel goed hoe het is om een liedje de hele tijd in je kop te hebben... van 'oe-lapaloma-blanka' (hihi) tot 'sitting on the dock of the bay'. Maar goed, jouw 'System Work' ziet er geweldig uit en lijkt me ook heel lekker & ontspannend om te doen. Ik hoop dat je snel weer op je atelier kan zitten (het is hier aardig afgekoeld vandaag!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Caatje! This looks like it was so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks all for the kind words, good to know I'm not the only one who likes this system work and if you make some of your own please send me a link and show me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did a very basic System Work. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkknitter/7874195030/in/photostream Thanks for inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great. I left a comment on flickr. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  15. I Know that I am a few months behind, who knows if you will even see this? Your work is very inspirational and beautiful. It had to take you a very long time to finish them. I've been in a funk. and scared to post my work anywhere this is what I needed to get me going again. Thanks for sharing your beautiful inspirational work. You should publish a coloring book with these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do check from time to time, so your comments are read even of they are late. Thank you for your kind words. I'm happy to know I inspired you to get back to making stuff. As for a colouring book, I'm actually working on a colouring book zine! It's a slow process though. :-)

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...