Friday, March 30, 2012

Alaïa

I wish I could stop time from moving so fast, just so I could savor my vacation a little longer. Only two and a half days to go and it's back to the office for me. Until then I will keep pretending that this vacation will never end. I'm really enjoying myself. Some days are lazy and laid back and others I go out and about and explore and both are equally wonderful. I love the fact that I don't have to live as much by the clock when I'm off work. I can get up when I feel like it and just take my time for everything, be it a long hike (four hours yesterday), hours of reading or a nice little nap.

Last Wednesday I went to the city of Groningen to visit the Groninger Museum. They had several exhibits going on, but the one that really intrigued me was about fasion designer Azzedine Alaïa. I love the femininity of his clothes, the cut shapes and the incredible work in the details. I actually took out my sketchbook and sketched some of the outfits that were being shown.

I've never drawn clothes just by themselves before, so I found it quite challenging. They are just pen on paper, no coloring or anything. I just wanted to get the shapes down.






I did buy some postcards with photographs and details of some of the clothes, because of course my drawings don't really do them justice and I wanted to see some of the colors.

In case you were wondering I am also spending some time in the studio this week, not much but some. I have made some postcards and am in the process of making some more. I will probably show them to you next week. And of course the journal is always going strong and I will defenitely show you the first spreads of the Moon Journal soon.

For now I wish all of you a wonderful weekend and hope you get some time to be creative!

14 comments:

  1. These are great Caatje, I think I would find that challenging too but you really can't tell you found it so they're lovely. Hope you enjoy the rest of your hol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to sketch fashion, Caatje. You did a beautiful job! What does the writing say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of a late response, sorry. The writing is mostly about the details and colors of the dress or my trouble in drawing it, haha.

      Delete
  3. Jij hoeft toch helemaal niet te oefenen met tekenen, ze zijn prachtig!! Lijkt me trouwens een leuke tentoonstelling, alleen een beetje ver weg;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAt een leuk serie is dat geworden Caatje! Geniet nog lekker van de laatste vakantiedagen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caatje, these are charming. You've made good use of your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fashion sketches look like they were challenging, but you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thee are great - I love seeing sketches of clothes! They did also remind me that I'm really not drawing anywhere near as much as I should be...! time to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know just how you feel with those vacation days drawing to a close...it looks and sounds like you have made good use of your time off, though! Great fashion sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Caatje!
    Great sketches, I too like seeing sketches of clothes and fashion. Happy to have found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are fantastic! And what a nice way to remember the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great sketches, you captured the shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ontzettend gaaf!! Leuk om zo een aandenken te hebben aan de tentoonstelling

    xx Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Folds are challenging and fashion drawings are full of them...so, yes, very challenging! Especially done directly in ink!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...