Sunday, August 13, 2017

Morning Portraits

Even though I have been doing morning art for about two and a half years, it still remains a process and I'm always learning new things. For instance, a while ago I wrote about wanting to skip it on my workdays (only three days a week) because it was costing me precious sleep.

From time to time I skip a day or so anyway, so it didn't seem like such a big deal, but it was. Turns out that when I don't at least intend to do it every day the whole habit of it just kind of blows up in my face. By that I mean that I didn't do my morning art at all, not even on the days when I did have the time!

Also I noticed that I missed the routine of it. After doing this for such a long time it seems my mind/body/system (or whatever is affected by these things) felt completely unbalanced without it. Kind of like I feel when I don't journal for a while. Apparently this whole morning art thing has become 'something I do' and when I don't, it bugs me. In any case, I did not like it.

For some reason it is hard for me to have a habit that I only keep up several days a week. I have to do it every day, or at least have the intention to do it on a daily basis. Now I have always skipped on vacations and sometimes for practical reasons, but never as part of the routine, if that makes any sense. Vacations for instance are all about getting out of your regular routines so that doesn't bother me at all.

So after about two weeks of trying to start my day without it, I got back to it and yes, that again means that three days a week I have to get up at five in the morning. I hate getting up at five in the morning! But I hate not doing my morning art even more. Sigh....

All this is a very long intro into five more portraits that I finished recently. Here are portraits number 16 to 20.






Just the other day I was curious as to how many days I have actually done morning art over the past years, so I started adding up and I came to around 720! Like I said I don't do them on vacations, I don't do them when I have the flu or when I'm away from home and last year I took a hiatus of an entire month for personal reasons, but still...720 is a big number in my book and I'm quite proud of it.

It's interesting that it's a bit hard for me sometimes to explain why I do this morning art thing in the first place, but that it's something I really miss when I don't do it. I guess in the end it's just a rewarding thing to start your day with a bit of creativity.

Hope you are doing something rewarding in your neck of the woods and wishing you a wonderful and artsy day!

8 comments:

  1. I have been struggling at times with some other routines (also in the morning, but not art), especially over the past 4 months. I read an article by someone about habits who mentioned that people who stick to their habits make a point of doing a little bit of it, even when they can't do the thing full out. I started trying this, because like you, I was finding that missing it on one day meant the entire habit tended to become very unsteady the rest of the days. So when I woke up and really, really felt reluctant or unwell, I tried to do a little bit of it, even a very little bit of it. And since then I've pretty much been able to keep it up and my reluctance has shrunk on the challenging days.
    I really appreciated your sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found a way to make your habits work for you, Judith. :-)

      Delete
  2. I am the exact same way, if I have a routine and break it - that's it, I end up not doing it at all. With art, walking daily, with just everything. Ugh!

    You're drawings are so good and though I don't know how you could improve any, they still seem to be getting better each time. You should be proud of yourself - that's a lot of days to do your morning art! Congratulations! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debi. I don't really see the improvement myself, I just see that I'm more pleased with some results than others and overall I like the series I am creating. It's hard to be objective about your own art. :-)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed seeing your faces very much. I chuckled about the 5 o'clock rise time, as when I worked in woke at 4:30 to get an hour of writing, a lifelong habit that ended in 2000. 17 years later I miss it so much. It unbalances me still. I am wondering about about morning arto, do you have a time limit? Prepare backgrounds or materials at another time? I am curious as I am trying to have an art journal and an everything but the kitchen sink journal that holds sketches, writing very little, notes, grocery lists, coupons etc. - thank you - kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I limit my time to 30 minutes every morning. With more elaborate art (like my previous project with collages), where I cannot finish a page in a day, I set a timer. But a portrait only takes me about 15 to 20 minutes, so I'm always done within the set time and don't need to set a timer.

      I do all my morning art in that half hour in the morning, so if prepping is needed or backgrounds are made or anything else it's all part of the same routine. My morning art is very clearly seperate from my other art which goes on any time of the day I feel like it or have time for it.

      Delete
  4. Mooie gezichten heb je weer getekend. Gefeliciteerd met 720 keer Morning Art, daar mag je echt wel trots op zijn. Fijne dag. Groetjes Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel, kan mezelf bijna niet voorstellen dat ik echt zo vaak in de ochtend ervoor ga zitten, haha.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...