Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Eight weeks of Spooky

It's been exactly eight weeks today since I adopted my strange somewhat neurotic new cat Spooky. I told you a bit about him in the first days, but I wanted to give you a little update, after all he is my furry companion and a part of my artsy life.


As cats go I don't think I could have picked a more different one from my previous assistant than this one. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it sure took some getting used to. For the both of us!
Spooky started out as a total scaredy cat. He spent the first days in hiding and did not trust me one bit.



Where my previous cat Peer was pretty much all over me from the get go, with Spooky everything takes time and patience and it makes me feel strangely special that in the past weeks he has decided I'm okay and can for the most part be trusted. In fact, I'm the only person he trusts. If I have company he runs straight upstairs (where he has a hiding place in my studio) and doesn't come out again until the guest is gone. Then he sits next to me on the couch and we both sigh with relieve that we have the place to ourselves again. ;-)


After about three or four weeks I let him go outside. It was not my intention to do this before he was neutered, but staying indoors made him so unhappy I just couldn't take it anymore.

He rewarded my kindness by going missing for two days! I was in total panic and worried sick about him. But after those two days he showed up and from there things slowly got better. He still spent about 90% of the time outdoors, but at least came back for food and some rest and I was okay with that, as long as he was happy. And he sure seemed happy to be going outside!
 

Then two weeks ago it was time for him to be neutered, chipped and vaccinated, all things the previous owner apparently did not find necessary, but I find an essential part of caring for your pet.

It took the help of my sister (who just happened to be here at the time) just to get him into the travel basket and I wondered if all the slowly built trust was destroyed again after that traumatic ordeal, but lo and behold, it was not!


Now the overactive male hormones are slowly leaving his body Spooky has become much more of a homebody and seems more and more affectionate and sweet. It's not that he seeks me out all the time (he did not have a character make over after all), but we have actually spent time lazing about on the couch where he will sort of halfway sit on my lap and purr contentedly. He now pretty much only goes out at night and even then comes home regularly and he actually comes and greets me when I come home or downstairs in the morning.


As I said he still does not care for strangers and even his affection for me is a lot more reserved than I am used to from previous cats, but somehow that makes it all the more special. It makes me feel rather privileged to have his trust.
He is not a very curious cat and does generally not really care what I am up to (unless it's food related, then he cares very much, haha), but every now and then he will actually keep me company when I'm writing or arting and that's what the pictures in this post are about.

All in all, we are slowly stealing each others heart and it's a very precious and worth while experience. We caused each other a lot of stress in the beginning, but I think we're going to make it just fine.

Have a wonderful and artsy day.


21 comments:

  1. He's so cute!! :) My cat started off being all over me but has changed since that time - now she hates being held and I've no idea why?! However, there are times, every now and then, that she will be whining a lot and won't stop and it gets on my last nerve [a few weeks ago is a good example] ... so, I picked her up and held her over my shoulder like you do a baby and paced from the door to the window and back for about 5 minutes [patting her back the whole time!] and after about 5 minutes, she was okay. No more whining. And oh yes, did I happen to mention that she's SPOILED? LOL She's my baby though so it's my job to spoil her. :) So happy you have Spooky to keep you company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, a spoiled cat, who would have thought? ;-)
      My previous cat Peer was pretty much all over me all of the time. He was the only cat I ever met that actually liked being belly rubbed. I sometimes had to lock him out of the studio just to get some work done, because het would never never leave me alone. He was adorable though. When I picked him at the shelter he pretty much seduced me to take him.
      Spooky is the one who has to be seduced by me and it is slowly but steadily working. He is very sweet too, but just more reserved and likes his space. He will get these moods when he suddenly likes to cuddle and then he'll be good for days without. :-)

      Delete
  2. this is one of my favorite posts from you. I am so happy every time someone saves a cat (or a dog, of course)..I had the same exact experience with a totally black cat just like yours. It took weeks and weeks, tho, to get him to trust me enough to come over to the door, then to let me pet him. He never would come inside, but he stayed on our deck and was at least assured of all the food he wanted and water and a safe place. We have ten cats, all adopted or saved. All are "fixed" and taken care of. Cats are great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Ten cats, that's impressive.
      For a while I thought Spooky might become a bit like your black cat and just come home for food and be out the rest of the day, but he's slowly turning into a more indoorsy cat.
      I think I will always adopt my pets as there are so many of them in need of a home. The only thing I always wish is that I could see them just once as they were when they were young. Imagine a tiny black Spooky kitten, how cute he must have been! ;-)

      Delete
    2. I agreee with you. All the cats we have ever owned have been rescued cats. We do not care about or need a pedigree cat. All cats are beautiful. Yes, tiny little kittens are just the best. I will never understand how some people think cats are aloof or unfriendly or un-needy. Cats show lots of love.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you have a nice and improving relationship with you new friend. This was a great post and I am happy that things are settling down. I bet your relationship will improve as time goes by in the affection area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. It's already amazing how in two months he has come around. I also think with age he will become more affectionate. That's what happened to previous cats. He's still quite young (three years) and it's an interesting world out there to explore, so he doesn't always have time for that human who feeds him! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Geweldig te lezen dat Spooky en jij nu wel onafscheidelijk geworden zijn en elkaar weten te appreciëren , dierenvriendschap is toch zo fantastisch !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Het is beslist bijzonder om te zien hoe hij zich ontwikkelt van totale angsthaas naar iets meer vertrouwen. Hij zal wel nooit een allemansvriendje worden, maar dat hoeft ook niet. Zolang hij mij maar graag ziet.

      Delete
  5. So happy to hear that Spooky is settling in...he appears to admire your work very much! :) Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure likes to sit on it from time to time. :-)

      Delete
  6. I had a cat like that, who, to the end of her long life would allow only me to handle her. Some friends never saw her and wondered if I was feeding an imaginary friend. I love your patience with Spooky, and how he is finding you're a good person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's what I keep saying: if I didn't have pictures to prove it people might doubt his existence entirely. He never shows himself to anybody but me. It makes me feel privileged, but it's also a little sad for my cat loving friends who would love to meet him, but just don't get the chance. :-)

      Delete
  7. Forgot to say quite a feat to get good pix of a black cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I know what you mean, most of the time there's just a big black blob in the picture. I however have a light on my phone that I use so you can see his features a bit better.

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy you and Spooky are getting on nicely! I have a black cat who is scared of guests also. The minute the door opens and it's anyone besides me, my cat will bolt down to the basement and stay there until the guest is gone. One of my dear friends who has been coming to my house about once a week for nearly TEN YEARS almost didn't believe that I actually owned a cat because she had never seen it. Then one day just a week or two ago, my cat came right up to her and rubbed against her legs. My friend and I were STUNNED. So it might take ten years, but eventually Spooky may warm up to guests! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, so basically I just have to be patient for ten years and then maybe he will show himself to one person? Well, that's something to look forward to!
      Spooky either runs to my studio upstairs or out the cat door in to the garden. I'm hoping with time he will indeed have more confidence, but it's not something one can force. He warmed up to me, so maybe he will learn to warm up to strangers too. We'll see.

      Delete
  9. Het blijft leuk die kattenverhalen. Hij ziet er zo aandoenlijk uit op de foto's. Hij doet me wat uiterlijk denken aan mijn eigen kat, ook helemaal zwart met iets langere haartjes. Wel een knuffel trouwens. Hoe ze ze ook zijn wat karakter betreft, het blijven ontzettend leuke beestjes. Die combinatie van lief en eigenwijs doet het hem toch steeds weer. Fijn dat het tussen jullie tweetjes nu steeds beter gaat en dat hij het goed naar zijn zin heeft bij je. Geniet ervan samen...

    Groetjes,
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spooky is eens in de paar dagen een knuffel en de rest van de tijd vooral in mij geïnteresseerd als er eten in het spel is. Hij zit wel veel naast me als ik op de bank zit. Ik vind zijn eigenzinnigheid steeds leuker. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Bless you for taking in this dear furry child! God gave him to you because he is such a scaredy cat and you could offer him a stress-free home where there is peace and love. I had a Siamese like Spooky - scared of strangers but totally comfortable and brave when it was just me and her and her sister alone at home. Wishing you both a long happy time together! Hugs from Alison in South Africa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words Alison. I hope Spooky will be with me for a long time to come.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...