Saturday, December 14, 2013

Small sketchbook

I've kept this small square sketchbook for a while now (about a year and a half). It used to live in my backpack, but was replaced by several other (already filled up) sketchbooks and now it sits in the artsy box I keep near the couch. I still don't work in it very often. I love the size and the square format (it measures 15x15 cm, which is 6x6 inches) and the paper is nice too, but the binding makes it very hard to keep open.

I keep thinking of just abandoning it and replacing it with something a bit more practical that I will grab easier, but somehow I can't let go just yet. Where some people have a hard time finishing a sketchbook, I seem to have a hard time letting one go until it's done. But maybe I really should, since working in it is always a little annoying.

Anyway, here are some random pages from the small sketchbook so you can see what kind of stuff I do when I sit on the couch and need to get my art on, but don't want to get up to do it. The fact that my fingers are in just about every picture is proof of how hard it is to keep this book open. ;-)

A little letter drawing to get the creative juices flowing after being dormant for a while. This is done in a regular felt tip pen.

Abstract in cheap watersoluble crayons.

A system work drawing coloured in with textmarkers/highlighters.

A letter drawing in watercolour (and an empty page).

A bit of abstract nonsense in felt tip pen and watercolour.

Doodling away (both done in felt tip pens).

Some girls in felt tip pen.

Another system work drawing, this time coloured in with coloured pencils.

Paper tree collage.

By the way, I think another reason why I'm often reluctant to work in this book is because it was supposed to be an experiment in working more randomly and spontaneaously across a  whole book instead of chronologically filling page after page from front to back. I'm finding I don't like that at all. There's lots of people out there who fill there journals and sketchbooks that way, but I like my stuff to be in order of appearance. For me a book is like a story, be it the story of my life (my journal) or just the story of my art in that particular book. I like to know which came before what if you know what I mean. This book feels all over the place and I just don't know which goes where (or which goes when, haha)

Mmm, the more I think about it I really need to abandon this sketchbook. Now if I could only find the courage to dump a book that is not completely filled up. I really need psychological help! ;-)

Have a nice and artsy weekend, all!

15 comments:

  1. If you don't want to throw it away, and there's nothing too personal in it, why don't you give it away? Let it find a new home with someone else. I'm sure one of your followers would treasure something like this, and you don't have to feel guilty for abandoning the journal.

    Shine on!
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, don't abandon the little guy. Don't you already work in several books at once? I do. I always have at least three books I am drawing or writing in or getting ready to write in.I save all my husband's already-read fax sheets and I fold them in half and stitch two together and bind into a book...I paint over the writing, etc, and make myself a new journal. The point is, and I have a point, I seem to always have one or two books with paint drying, so I get another book and do some stuff in that one. Your pages in the little book are much too wonderful to abandon!! So much emotion throughout the pages. You just have to keep it!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or maybe, instead of abandonning all of it, cut out the pages you already did and add them to another book? Lovely art, it would be a shame to lose it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't want to use/keep the pages you've done in the sketchbook, you could give it away or sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay all, I never said I didn't want to keep this book or the pages I did in it. In fact I said I liked the shape and pages, but that for several reasons I don't seem to be working in it very much. Just because I may not finish it, does not mean I will throw it in the garbage or something. I will of course keep it with my other sketchbooks and journals. I also never tear out pages and would not even consider selling or giving away a personal sketchbook, be it half fillef or not. Hope this sets your minds at ease. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I understood what you meant, and I was going to suggest that you took the 'empty' pages out of the book, so it's then 'finished'. You get to keep it and not have it haunt you?!
    ….Or get some therapy and be ok with an unfinished book??!!
    p.s. as always, love all the above pages, complete eye candy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks Nina. Therapy might indeed be in order. :-)
      As for taking out empty pages, that might prove to be a bit impractical as most empty pages either have something on the back or are through thr binding connectef to filled pages. Also I believe I should keep it as is, if only as part of my ' you don't have to fill everybook up therapy' . It might be a breakthrough, haha.

      Delete
  7. Such sweet little pages Caatje... and such a cute little size... lovely to read about how you love to work in your journals... your artwork is gorgeous....

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tja... ook ik heb zo'n 'niet af' boek en ook mij zit dat een beetje dwars...ik mag dan in 'tig' journals tegelijk werken, ik werk ze wel allemaal 'van voor naar achter' af en ze moeten inderdaad 'vol' zijn... op die ene na dan, die me steeds meer tegen gaat staan. Ik heb nu besloten 'm 'onaf' te laten en 'm in de 'affe' kast gezet. Voelt even raar... zullen we dan maar samen in therapie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaaa, gedeelde smart is halve smart, toch?

      Delete
  9. I love visiting this site and seeing your art! Those doodles are just plain gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Glad you like them.

      Delete
  10. I adore the two 'system work' spreads. To me they speak of your love of color, and whimsy thru order. Don't dump the book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my system work too. They take forever to finish, but are good for the soul. ;-) I'm still not sure about the book though. Sigh....

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...