Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Seals!

It's that time of year again when young seals are born and it's that time of year again when they are not strong enough to withstand a harsh swim in wintery or stormy weather, but sometimes they get caught in the high tide. So from time to time it happens that they (and with them their moms) are stranded on the island until they become strong enough to swim back to the plate they come from.

Sometimes, when we are very lucky they stay on the beach with us for a while and it just so happens that this is going on right now. So, here for your viewing pleasure, some cutesie seals and especially some cutesie seal babies.






These were taken from a  respectable distance by the way (thank God for my zoom camera), because getting too close to baby seals and their adult protectors is not a smart thing to do. Not for them (it causes stress and fear and may separate them from each other) and not for you (it causes agression and seal teeth are no laughing matter!).

Anyway, I hope they stick around for a while so hopefully I can take some pics again this winter. I also would love to come back and bring my binoculars and just study them for a while.  Those babies really are cute as a button! ;-)

Wishing you all a wonderful and cutesy week.

12 comments:

  1. Dag Caatje,
    Wat een prachtige foto's van de zeehondjes. De 2 laatste foto's vind ik helemaal super.
    Groetjes Truus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Caatje, these pictures are so wonderful! Thank you for sending them along to us-it's not every day that we get see seals in their native habitat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Sandy. Seals are a common thing in the Wadden Sea, but having them on the island itself is always a treat.

      Delete
  3. Wat een gave foto's Carin. Leuk hoor Je woont echt op een slechte plaats ;-)
    Groetjes Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My!!!!!! These are simply amazing pictures. My husband and I never realized that they had so much fur. We only see them in the zoo here in the states and they are always a very dark grey or brown.
    The white fur and the spotted seal is so amazing. I would spend a lot of time, like you plan on doing, just watching them while they are at your doorstep. What an experience.
    Barb
    USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are especially furry as babies, makes them extra cute. The spotted one was very curious about the people looking at him. He looks a bit melancholy, but he was a cheeky one. :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh wat een geweldige foto's, vooral die eerste!! Ik heb vroeger als kind kaartjes van zeehonden gespaard, dus deze post bracht een grote glimlach op mijn gezicht!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, those dear faces are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they are very cute to look at.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...