Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Work in progress

More heat has washed over our country and I am getting a little tired of it frankly. I am now sitting behind my computer in my studio wishing I was...well...someplace cooler. But it's been a week since I posted and I did want to show you what I am working on right now.


I'm working on three spreads in my ALMBH journal. To get more in the spirit of Kelly Kilmer I am trying to challenge myself by just using collage and penwork. It is really really hard for someone who is as in love with acrylic paints as me.
Now, don't get me wrong, there's no rule against using paint in this class, but it is good to get out of your comfort zone every now and then and try something new or a little different from what you usually do. So...I am making three spreads with just collage, collage and more collage. I like how they are turning out and it is quite interesting to get into layering with just collage instead of paints combined with paper.


What I also really like about this journal is how it forces me to use all the collage sheets I have accumulated over the years and all the beautiful scrapbookpapers that I own (and those are many my friends!). Aah, don't get me started on pretty papers! What some people have with beautiful fabrics I have with beautiful paper: it is often enough to just look at it and I am in paradise. I guess only fellow paper addicts can understand this.


Anyway, this way they come to some practical use as well. As you can see the spreads are not done yet. I still have to do the penwork on it. Now that I like these spreads so much I am a little scared to go there though. I don't want to ruin these spreads. But I don't want to be a coward either, so hopefully next time I can show you how they turned out. So today you got a little 'Before picture' and soon I hope to give you the 'Finished pages'. Keep your fingers crossed!