Thursday, July 8, 2010

Journal spread

Happy to have finished another journal spread. When I watch video's on youtube of people doing spreads in I am always amazed at how fast they can work. Maybe it's the fact that I use so many layers, but this spread took me something like three hours to make. I wish I could work faster, but then again that is kind of what this spread is about. Let me show it to you first:


The prompt from the ALMBH-class for this one was about the thing you don't want to think about. I would really like to not think about the high demands I put on myself. I always feel like I should be doing more and that I should be more productive in my art. I journaled about how I would just like to enjoy my artsy passions and not worry so much about my own standards of productivity and outcome (whatever they are). I am learning that the process is the thing, but I would still like to have more to show for it in the end (paradox anyone?).
Reading a lot of art journaling and mixed media books I have found that a lot of artists struggle with this and we really are our own worst critic. There are times when I can totally silence this inner voice and just enjoy myself in being creative, but there are also times when I can drive myself crazy wanting more. More of what? I'm not even sure. What I am sure about is that most of us are way more strict and demanding of ourselves than anybody else would ever be of us. I need to treat my inner artist a little nicer sometimes ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I take a long time to journal a page too. I always wonder if people start out with an idea of what they plan to make when they start recording or if they are just making it up while they go along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I start out with nothing basically. I just pick a color paint I like and put it on the paper. I try not to think beyond or before the current layer. The moment I start to plan a work (and sometimes you just have to like with my trilogy)it looses some of the fun of making it. I like to just play around and see where that leads me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...