Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Party on a page

Every now and then it happens. An idea will come to me out of nowhere and I must act upon it. Truth be told this happens very rarely and I'm not one of those people who believes that sitting around and waiting for the Muse to drop by is a good idea.

In general my ideas come from keeping up an artistic practice. Making stuff leads to making more stuff, it's as simple as that. But...every now and then the Muse hands me a freebie. This time it happened upon waking up about a week ago. An image just jumped in my mind and I scribbled it down as soon as I had the opportunity. It looked something like this:


Basically what I had in mind were strips of decorated colourful ribbon across the page surrounded by little colourful dots. The dots reminded me of confetti. It just seemed like a fun idea to try out in full colour. Of course as is often the case with such ideas I had to wait a while before I could really sit down with my sketchbook, but later that day I actually made my first attempt:


I drew the ribbons and dots with a Pitt drawing pen and then coloured them in with Tombow brush markers. I really liked this first try. It looked to me like a little party on a page!

This came in handy later that week when one of my sisters celebrated her birthday. I decided to combine these ribbons and confetti with some words and let the ribbons go back and in front of the letters. 


Again I drew the picture with a drawing pen and filled in the colours with tombow markers, but not after first setting it up in pencil so I could figure out which lines were covered. And I love love love how it turned out. I'm thinking a design like this would make for really cool greeting cards or birthday cards. There was no time for that now, but I did put a picture of the page on her Facebook timeline, so it was like a personal e-card. ;-)

I think I will be drawing more of these. I feel I have just scratched the surface with this idea. I'll keep you posted and see if there will be more party pages in the future. ;-)

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day!

PS On a different note: you may have noticed I put moderation on in my comment section. This is because ever since november the spammers have multiplied by ten and some are starting to get through Bloggers defence system and ending up on the blog. I hate that, so to spare you all the trouble of being confronted with things like 'solutions for genital warts' (seriously, I had two of those that would have ended up on the blog if I had not had on moderation) I'm putting the moderation on. This means there will be a little delay between your posting and me publishing your comment. I know you understand. Thanks.