Friday, April 5, 2019

Ice Sculpture Festival

In February I visited the annual Ice Sculpture Festival (IJsbeeldenfestival) in Zwolle.

It's exactly what it sounds like. A (very cold) exhibit of ice sculptures. Every year there is a different theme. This year that theme was 'stories', so most sculptures referred to all kinds of well known international stories, varying from Dracula and Frankenstein to Harry Potter and Game of Thrones,

Here's an impression of my visit:

Yes, that doormat kind of ruins the effect, but I loved the coffin so much anyway.















'Villa Kakelbont 'is the Dutch name of Pippi Longstockings house.

The pattern lover in me found plenty to love as well.








The exhibit was not very large, but there was a lot to see and you could walk the route as often as you liked. Twice was enough for me, if just for the fact that you are basically waking in a huge freezer. Brrrr.

But it was an enjoyable experience and I hope you enjoyed seeing it with me from the warmth of your own home.

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day!