Sunday, April 23, 2017

The South Limburg Slideshow - part one of five

From the 7th to the 14th of April I went on vacation to the South of Limburg, which is the most southern province of The Netherlands. I mostly stayed in the area around a town called Valkenburg. 

As always I walked and explored a lot and as always I took a lot of pictures, be it only with my phone this time, since I did not bring my camera. 

This five part slideshow is an impression of my vacation. I may give a little comment here and there, but mostly I want the pictures to speak for themselves. If you have any questions though, don't hesitate to ask. 

 I hope you will enjoy traveling with me!


The river Geul runs straight through Valkenburg and neighbouring towns.

This was an old graveyard I came by on my way into the town centre.



I visited the ruins of Valkenburg Castle. It stems from the middle ages.

I was fascinated by how not one piece of stone was left unmarked.

A very disappointing sign! ;-)

View of Valkenburg from the ruins.





An old town gate connected now by more modern buildings.

This is Geulpark, a park on the east side of Valkenburg.


The area is originally very Catholic, so there are lots chapels, crosses and statues devoted to religious figures all around the countryside, mostly Jesus and the virgin Mary, but also several saints are honored.





This area was called Gerendal, 'dal' means valley.




One of the town squares in Valkenburg with a restored gate building.

And that's all we have for today, until next time! Wishing you a wonderful and artsy day.