Thursday, December 13, 2012

Another beautiful lady in a beautiful dress

You may remember that a while ago I started a series of beautiful ladies in beautiful dresses. If not, you can find the first one here. Now my series can take some time to come into being, so don't expect me to whip up dozens of ladies in no time. I always take my time with things and I like a lot of variety in what I do.

But...last week I felt it was time for another lady to see the light. So I went to work and here she is:


As before I used a wedding magazine as my inspiration, but trust me, there was no lady with long flowing hair and a red dress in there! I just use them for the pose and the model and flow of the dress. The rest is up to me. 


This one really is a bit of a mixed media piece. I don't know if you can tell, but I used a drawing pen, coloured pencils, watercolour and tombow brush markers on this one. Some of the markers I diluted with water (on the dress for instance). 


I also like the challenge of making an interesting background. For the background on this lady I used several cheap stencils I got at a discount store. The letters I colored in with pencil and the flowers with markers. I like how you can see the structure of the paper with the coloured pencils. 


I can see a lot of flaws in this second lady (just check out her arms for one), but as a whole I do like how she turned out, especially the colours and the way the light reflects on her dress. You can tell it must be silk or something. 


Whether I'll ever get the form of a dressed lady down so well that I can just draw them by heart remains to be seen, but I do like practicing them this way and every little bit helps, right?

Hope you are practicing something too and that you enjoyed this lady.

For now I wish you all a wonderful and artsy day!